Transportation service providers throughout the state are organizing to offer free or discounted rides to the polls during early voting and Election Day!
Public transit systems in Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are planning to offer these services. Some taxi and other on-demand rideshare companies are going to present free rides. Rules and days of availability vary by location.
Local Leagues can reach out to their local transit providers to urge free rides during early voting and election day. An example of the service being offered by the Corpus Christi Regional Transportation Authority is described in its media release.
A list of suggested actions to promote the programs.
1. List known ride providers on the Local League website
2. Promote the website information with social media
3. Keep a list of the free rides contacts handy for League members answering phone calls during early voting and on Election Day
4. Forward lists via emails to organizations suspected of having members or clients who need a ride
5. Participate in a media conference the third week of October to promote the new Voter ID requirements, early voting specifics and ride-to-the-polls programs available.
Paul Silver worked with the Austin League to begin the movement to promote free rides in Texas. To find out more about the statewide effort to offer rides to the polls, and receive suggestions on connecting with your local providers, contact Paul at Pjsilver50@gmail.com.
LWV-Austin Area: Voting Rights in Texas and Beyond - Event 9/18/2016